What's in this article?
What is ichthyosis Vulgaris
Ichthyosis vulgaris is AN genetic skin condition that happens when your skin doesn’t shed its dead skin cells. This causes dry, dead skin cells to accumulate in patches on the surface of your skin. It’s conjointly referred to as “fish scale disease” as a result of the dead skin accumulates in a very similar pattern to a fish’s scales.
Most cases of ichthyosis vulgaris are delicate, however some are severe. Typically other skin diseases, like the allergic skin condition eczema, are related to ichthyosis vulgaris. No cure has been found for ichthyosis vulgaris, and treatments focus on controlling the condition.
Fact of ichthyosis Vulgaris
- Ichthyosis could be a skin disorder that superficially seems similar to fish skin with scales.
- Ichthyosis is inherited and can’t be transmitted from one person to another.
- Ichthyosis produces terribly dry itchy skin because of a defective protein that’s vital in maintaining skin hydration.
- Ichthyosis is rare.
- Keeping the skin well lubricated is a very important a part of the treatment for ichthyosis.
Is ichthyosis Vulgaris Hereditary?
Hereditary ichthyosis vulgaris and acquired ichthyosis vulgaris, members of a bunch of cutaneous disorders of keratinization, seem similar both clinically and histologically. The term ichthyosis comes from the ancient Greek root ichthys, which means fish.
What is the cause of dead skin?
The most important damage happens deeper, resulting in deep wrinkles and loose, sagging skin, different skin conditions. People with skin conditions like dermatitis (eczema) or a skin condition marked by a rapid buildup of rough, dry, dead skin cells that kind thick scales (psoriasis) are prone to dry skin.
Is ichthyosis Vulgaris Genetic?
Ichthyosis (plural ichthyoses) could be a heterogeneous family of at least twenty eight, generalized, largely genetic skin disorders. All types of ichthyosis have dry, thickened, scaly or flaky skin.
Treating ichthyosis Vulgaris
There is presently no cure for ichthyosis vulgaris. However, treatment will help you manage your symptoms.
Exfoliating your skin with a loofa or a pumice stone when you bathe will assist you take away the excess skin.
You should also frequently apply moisturizers that have organic compound or propylene glycol in them. These chemicals can help your skin keep moist. Using product with organic compound, lactic, or salicylic acid can even help your skin shed dead cells. Using a humidifier in your home can add moisture into the air and keep your skin from drying out.
Your doctor can also prescribe specialized creams or ointments to help moisturize the skin, get eliminate dead skin, and management inflammation and itching. These could include topical treatments containing the following ingredients:
- Lactic acid or alternative alpha hydroxy acids: These compounds, also used in antiaging cosmetics, facilitate the skin retain moisture and reduce scaling.
- Retinoids: Retinoids is also used in difficult cases to slow your body’s production of skin cells. These substances are derived from vitamin a, so they could have some adverse side effects. These could include lip swelling, hair loss, or birth defects if taken throughout pregnancy.
What ichthyosis Vulgaris Look Like (Pictures)