What's in this article?
What is frequent urination?
Frequent urination is an impulse to urinate more often than regular. It is an annoyance and a result of an inadequate sleep, or it can be a symptom of a medical condition. The condition of needing to pass urine excessively is known as Polyuria. However, people don’t, realize this condition and accept it as something that they have to deal with, or they think it isn’t something that needs medical attention. However, they don’t realize the fact that this is a treatable issue which isn’t anything serious and you can return to your normal urinary habit.
For example, frequent urination can be caused by drinking fluids too much, especially those that have alcohol or caffeine content in them. Pregnant women generally have this problem because of the large uterus pressing against their bladder. But, excess urination can be a symptom of a more serious issue, and you might need to make a doctor’s appointment. It is because the sooner you diagnose the issue and get it treated, greater, are the chances that you will be able to conquer your problems successfully.
Causes of frequent urination
From simply drinking too much liquid or serious kidney diseases, frequent urination can be a symptom of different health problems. When overactive bladder comes with fever, and the urgent impulse to urinate, discomfort and pain in the abdomen; it is likely to have a urinary tract infection.
Here are some other causes of frequent urination:
- Pregnancy: Pregnancy is one of the most common causes of frequent urination. From the early pregnancy week, the uterus grows, and it puts pressure on the bladder resulting in frequent urination.
- Interstitial Cystitis: This a condition of unknown cause is categorized by pain and discomfort in the pelvic region and bladder. Its general symptom is a frequent and urgent impulse to urinate.
- Diabetes: The frequent need of urination that comes with a large quantity of urine is generally a symptom of Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes as the body is trying to release the excess glucose through passing urine.
- Prostate issues: An expanded prostate can put pressure against the urethra and also restrict the urine flow. This irritates the bladder wall and causes the bladder to contract even when it only has a small quantity of urine resulting in frequent urination.
- Neurological diseases such as a stroke: Damage to the nerves that supply the bladder that can impact the bladder function.
Symptoms of frequent urination
Knowing the symptoms of frequent urination directly depends on its causes-
- Intense Bladder Symptoms:
Frequent urination is one of the early symptoms of an intense bladder. But, in this, you shouldn’t feel any pain or ill when passing urination. Its other symptoms include:
- Helplessness to control the urge to urinate
- Walking up frequently at night to pass urinate which is called as nocturia
- Leaking urine
- UTI symptoms:
UTIs can be affected by any region in the urinary system. However, they generally develop in the urethra and bladder. They commonly develop in women rather than men. It is mainly because women have a shorter urethra and this let the bacteria to enter the bladder more easily and result in infection. The other symptoms of UTIs are:
- Burning sensation when urinating
- Frequent urge to urinate
- Urine that smells strongly
- Pain in lower abdominal
- Blood in urine
- Losing control over bladder
Home Remedies to Treat Frequent Urination
Here are some of the effective home remedies for frequent urination–
- Horse Grams roasted:
It is enriched with calcium molybdenum, polyphenols, irons, and antioxidants which are very effective in treating urinary problems. Just roast a few horse grams and eat with jaggery.
- Fenugreek Seeds:
Fenugreek seeds are powerful diuretic and are considered as an excellent source of natural chemical components that can treat urinary issues effectively. Consuming fenugreek seeds regularly can protect frequent urination symptoms. Take fenugreek, bishop weed seeds, and dry ginger and then grind it well. After that, mix it well with honey. Eat this mix two times a day; it will effectively help with your frequent urge to urinate.
- Pomegranate paste:
Pomegranate paste is one of the most popular home remedies for frequent urination. Just make a fine paste using pomegranate skin and mix few drops of this paste with water. Consume it twice a day. This paste has vitamin and antioxidant which helps in reducing the bladder heat consequently and provide you with a relief from the frequent urge to urinate.
- Sesame Seeds:
Sesame seeds are boosted with minerals, vitamins, fibers, and antioxidants that work well in controlling frequent urination. Eating sesame seeds along with jaggery is a great medicine for controlling urine. You can also add a couple of grams of black sesame seeds, jaggery, and carom seeds for faster treatment.
- Boiled Spinach:
Spinach is boosted with nutrition, and it is the answer to many health issues including frequent urination. Spinach benefits a lot in this situation. If you will eat boiled spinach your supper, it will provide you with a great relief from excess urination, especially at night. You can also make spinach juice with coconut and drink it daily for more effective results.
Exercise is another effective home remedy for frequent urination. It is recommended that you hold your urine longer than you normally do. This will gradually help in increasing the ability to control the urge to urinate and help your bladder hold urine longer. Contracting and releasing the muscles of pelvic also known as kegel exercise is one of the exercises that you can perform in this situation. When you perform this exercise regularly, you will be able to improve your ability to control urination.
When to seek a Medical Professional
While there is a point to which you can treat frequent urination at home; once that point is crossed, it is better to seek medical help. If the following symptoms occur then you should know that it is time to seek professional help-
- Abdominal pain
- Back pain
- Being excessively thirsty and hungry
- Dark urine
Frequent Urination can be caused because of various reasons. All you need to do is follow the above given points to treat the problem of frequent urination.