What's in this article?
What is tartar on teeth?
Tartar, sometimes known as calculus, is basically a plaque that has become hardened on the teeth. Tartar on teeth can also be formed at and beneath the gum line and can irritate the gum tissues. Tartar offers plaque more area on which to develop and a stickier surface area to develop which can cause more serious dental conditions such as gum disease and cavities. Tartar on teeth can not only risk your overall dental health, but it is also a big cosmetic issue. As tartar is more porous, it consumes stain easily. Hence, if you drink tea or coffee or smoke frequently, you are more likely to develop tartar on teeth.
What is the cause of tartar on teeth?
Apart from poor oral health, overlapped teeth, and unhygienic condition, these following are the reasons that cause tartar on teeth.
- Children who are suffering from cystic fibrosis or asthma have the formation of calculus at twice the rate than other children.
- People who smoke often are likely to get calculus on teeth
- Mentally disabled people or people who have been tube-fed for a long time may suffer tartar on teeth fast
- Certain medication such as diuretics, beta-blockers, and anticholinergics can cause tartar on teeth.
What are some effective home remedies to treat tartar on teeth?
Here are some of the most effective ways to treat tartar on teeth at home-
- Brushing the teeth daily and properly:
Brushing the teeth after every meal is the first step to prevent tartar. Make sure that you are using soft bristle toothbrush and brush properly covering all angles so that your teeth are thoroughly cleaned. Always hold the brush at the angle of 45-degree.
- Using tartar control toothpaste:
If you are already suffering from tartar on teeth, you can use tartar control toothpaste to remove the tartar. There are quite a few chemical ingredients like zinc citrate, pyrophosphate, fluoride, etc. in these pastes that help in the removal of tartar and also prevent the build-up of tartar.
- Baking Soda mixture:
Baking soda relaxes the teeth and gums and impacts an antibacterial effect on the tartar. This helps in the removal of tartar and helps in whitening the teeth. As baking soda is an antacid, it reinstates the pH level in the mouth.
- 1 tablespoon of baking soda
- Mix salt and baking soda and make a paste. Put the mixture on the toothbrush
- Scrub your teeth with it and rinse your mouth with lukewarm water
- Orange peel:
Orange peel effectively combats with the microorganism present in the mouth. This is one of the effective ways to treat tartar on teeth.
- Take an orange peel and scrub it in the teeth for about 2-3 minutes.
- Let the juices to soak in for couple of minutes and rinse the mouth
- Repeat this twice a week
- Eat figs regularly:
Eating figs regularly is another way to cleanse your teeth and strengthen the gums. Eating figs promote the salivary gland and enhance the saliva secretion. This effectively helps in cleansing the teeth and help you in getting rid of tartar.
- Using fruits that are enriched with vitamin-C
Vitamin-C enriched fruits such as strawberries and tomatoes help in getting rid of tartar by killing off the bacteria present in the mouth.
- Chop it off strawberry or tomato and blend to make a pulp
- Apply the pulp directly on the teeth and leave it for five minutes
- After five minutes with lukewarm water.
Lemon is an acidic component which is popular for its antimicrobial properties. It efficiently helps in removing tartar on teeth. It is also a natural bleach which whitens the teeth. Drinking water with lemon is highly beneficial for treating tartar on teeth.
- Using an electric toothbrush
Many popular dentists advise the usage of an electric toothbrush for your teeth as they do the job better than normal ones. This is also helpful in removing the tartar on teeth and keep your teeth bright and clean.
- Eating spicy food:
Eating spicy food is one another remedy to treat tartar on teeth. Spicy foods like salsa increase the saliva secretion by promoting the salivary glands. The excess saliva created in the mouth effectively helps in cleansing the gums and teeth.
- Aloe Vera Gel along with Glycerine:
Aloe Vera gel along with baking soda is enriched with antimicrobial properties. Aloe Vera also has antioxidant properties that can speed up the healing process of teeth and gums by killing off the bacteria.
You will need:
- Aloe Vera gel
- Vegetable glycerine
- Baking soda
- Lemon essential oil
- Mix together all the ingredients and make a paste
- Scrub the teeth with this mixture for a while
- Afterward, rinse all your mouth thoroughly with water
Why is it needed to treat tartar on teeth?
Tooth cavities and decay are among the first two oral issues that develop tartar on the teeth. The acid that destroys the enamel of the teeth consequently result to tooth decay, and if this acid isn’t cleaned, then it can contribute to a more serious oral issue. Ignoring this tartar in the early stages can result in bacterial infection in the mouth. Protecting the cavities is simple; however, it starts with cleaning plaque regularly.
You need to brush and floss your teeth regularly so that the plaque can be stopped from turning into tartar. You know tartar does not take long to form; it can be developed in just a day if you skip brushing or flossing. While plaque isn’t visible on the teeth, tartar on teeth tends to get stained and turn yellow or brown. Besides, tartar is not just unpleasant to look at; it also causes irritation and discomfort to the gum resulting in gingivitis. Also, tartar is also more difficult to get rid of as compared to plaque and just brushing and flossing would not cut it. If you let the tartar build-up, you might need to take professional help. Thus, it is very important for you to treat plaque in time or else eventually you will see tartar on teeth which causes severe oral issues.